Elder Chase Quinn's missionary blog

ELDER CHASE QUINN'S MISSIONARY BLOG by his mother Elaine

Monday, May 21, 2012

The funeral, dedication of the grave and a chance to teach the "plan of salvation"


So this week was an interesting week. Elder Hughes and I had the opportunity to go to Dima's funeral on Tuesday. It was a really neat experience. President Sadchenko from our branch came and brought a big wreath of flowers and said it was from the branch. It is tradition to bring them. It started out with a viewing outside of his apartment. A lot of people were there. We tried to hang back and not get to much in the way. After that we went to a Prodoslavian church where they did some prayers and things. I could tell it brought some peace to the people there but I knew that they didn't do anything. After that we all went to the graveyard and they opened it up for people to say anything they wanted. President Sadchenko went up and bore his testimony which was really cool. After that Elder Hughes and I went up and sang God be with you til we meet again" with President. It was really cool. There must have been 70 people there. After that they did the burial and everyone started to walk away. I wasn't expecting Dima's mother to say anything to us because I had only met her a couple of times. But she broke away from everyone and came up and said "Thank you for all that you have done. You meant so much to him." President then asked if we could dedicate his grave for our church. She said of course and called over Larissa, Rano, and another lady. He then looked at me and said go for it. I was really nervous and I got a little choked up but it went well. Afterwards they all thanked me. It was really neat.

So later on in the week we ran into Rano and she informed us that Dima's son Zhena still doesn't know because they don't know what to say to him. It was really sad to hear that. Both Elder Hughes and I found a lot of comfort from knowing the Plan of Salvation since we were 3 years old. It makes things so much easier. So she told us to run ahead and talk to Larissa. We ran up and we asked if we could explain to him what had happened. She said ofcourse and we gave her our number. The next day we ran into Dima's mom. She again thanked us and asked for our number as well. I really hope that this experience helps them to be receptive to the gospel. It would help them so much. The whole branch found out about Dima and have all offered their assistance. It was really nice of them. I hope to meet with them soon. This next week is transfers so we find out on Saturday if I am staying. I kind of want to stay one more just to be here. They don't really know Elder Hughes very well.

As for Vova it was pretty disappointing. We only met with him once and when we did we went over the baptisimal interview questions. He passed off everything except for a testimony of Joesph Smith and Thomas S. Monson. He said he just doesn't know if they are Prophets. I wanted to meet with him again to go over this but he was working everyday. So I decided to call him on Saturday and see if we could announce his baptism date in church but he said that he doesn't feel ready. I tried to talk with him about how that is what the Devil wants you to think but he said it was all too soon. He found out the next day that this might be my last week and he was really mad about it. He asked why we change cities and I said Good question I don't know. But I am confident he will be baptized. And yes mom I will get a picture with him before I leave haha.

But going on to more about transfer. I might be staying but I don't think I am. But something weird was I was called to be Elder Quorum president. So I was wondering why they would do that if I was leaving next week but we will see. Because Elder Hughes was called as 1st councilor in the Branch Presidency which was really surprising. After church we talked with President Sadchenko and he told us our responsibilities and I had to translate everything Elder Hughes had to do. I don't blame him there was no way he would know those words after his 2nd transfer but it was just really funny. But ya we will see what happens on Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment