Elder Chase Quinn's missionary blog

ELDER CHASE QUINN'S MISSIONARY BLOG by his mother Elaine

Friday, December 30, 2011

Zone Conference and Christmas Time


Thank you all for the great letters. It is so good to hear from all of you. I am also looking forward to talking with all of you on Christmas Sunday. 

Night train ride 
up and ready for Zone Conference 
Alright so as for my week it was really cool, so I'll just start. On Wednesday night we took a train to Kiev. It is about a 9 hour train ride and it was overnight so it wasn't too bad. The worst part is not being able to shower. So we had an all Mission Conference this week and it was amazing. President Bennett came from the Area Presidency and you may also remember that he spoke in this last General Conference. It was such a cool day. He really stressed being faithful. He said that before South America became a Baptism paradise they were only getting 1 or 2 a month as well. He then quoted Elder Holland saying "Eastern Europe is the next Brazil." It was really cool to hear that. He then went on to ask "Do you want to be a part of that?" It really got everyone fired up. I wanted to be out on the streets so bad. But I still had to go back to Odessa right after the conference. Unfortunately this ride was a little worse. We took a bus for 8 hours. We got into Odessa at 12 at night then got to Illichosk at 1 in the morning. Needless to say, I slept really well the next night haha. 

So this week we were unable to meet with Dima because he was back in Kiev. But it is all good because he keeps coming to church and reading the Book of Mormon. He is so awesome. Many of you may know that there are two different ways to talk to people. In Russian we use the Ve form when talking to strangers and people who are older than us. WE use the Te form for friends, family members and children. While talking to Dima we have been using the Ve form. Then when you think you are close enough with someone it is polite to use ask to use the Te form. We asked and Dima said "Ya I figured we were already on it." It was pretty fun to have him say that. He often says things like "I better get baptized before you guys leave or I'll fly you in" or "You better be here for a long time it's fun with you." We always say don't worry there will be other missionaries. Also he said he is going to friend request us on Skype and facebook. So it will be really fun to be friends with him. 

As far as investigators go, this week we got a big fat "0".It was really dissappointing. But don't worry I have already seen the blessings that come from hard work. Yesterday at church a sister in our ward, who we don't normally meet with because her husband is second counsellor and has asked us to meet with the other members more, came up to us and said here is a family of four that really want to hear about the Gospel. Here is their number, address, and names. The mom wants them all to listen. I was like "Um Thank you so much!" We have asked pretty much everyone for referrals and none have given them. Then she comes up with an amazing referral when we haven't even asked her yet. I was so pumped. We called them and they said to call after the Holidays. That's pretty understandable though because it gets pretty crazy around here. 

So now I'll tell you about what I have decided to change about this week. Lately I have gotten into a routine of "Hello my name is Elder Quinn and I am a missionary....." Ya it's even boring to type. Now this is what I have been saying. Me: Hey have you heard about this book!? Person: No M: Well do you believe in Jesus Christ? P: Ya of course. M: Excellent this book is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ." And I know that you will love this book..... and then I go on to tell about it. But can you see the difference in those two approaches? This week I was studying and I just realized that the Book of Mormon isn't a difficult of confusing book. It is a fun, amazing, and simple book that has changed my life. I decided I really needed to start keeping that in mind. 

Alright now I'll end with my testimony. I know that God lives and that his Son Jesus Christ came to earth to atone for our sins. I know that the Book of Mormon is the Word of God and that Joseph Smith translated it by God's power. I am so thankful for this great Holiday season to remember Christ's birth. I have never been away from home before on Christmas so this will be a new thing for me. But I decided I am still going to read in Luke about the Nativity on Christmas Eve and I am really going to focus my study on Christ this week. When all is said and done that is really why I am here. To teach people about Christ and his restored Gospel. I love you all so much and pray for you all everyday. I am so grateful that my family is rooted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Love you all, see you on skype this Sunday :)

Love Elder Quinn

Christmas time in Illinshlic.  I love Christmas!


Elder Wells and Elder Quinn

District Christmas Party 

No comments:

Post a Comment