Elder Chase Quinn's missionary blog

ELDER CHASE QUINN'S MISSIONARY BLOG by his mother Elaine

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Russian language skills made a huge jump - nice to hear a little English too


So for my language skills, I feel like I have made a huge jump this week. I now understand so much of what people are saying. You guys will probably laugh at this but men are so much easier to understand, women speak sooooo fast. But I am still able to get the general meaning of what they want. This week Elder Muir and I were down here on exchanges. We taught some awesome lessons. He is training Elder Welch right now in Odecca so he is as old as my companion is on the mission. The first thing he said was this is your area so you lead the discussions. I don't want to brag but we taught some awesome lessons. I taught one about using our names in scriptures to help bring them alive. I used 1 Nephi 3:7 using my name and then the members name in it. They really enjoyed that. But ya this week I have really felt that I have been able to open my mouth and talk to people. It was so refreshing to actually speak. 

Alright so real quick funny story. We were walking down the street and I was just feeling down. I was thinking how much fun it is to talk to people in English and just have a conversation with people. They only people I can talk to in English are other missionaries. I kept thinking man I wish I could just have a conversation with someone other than my companion. Literally right after I said that we both said "Good Evening" (in Russian) to a guy walking past us. He responded with "What's up guys" (in English). We stopped and asked where he was from. He said he is from Texas. It was so crazy running into him. He is a Baptist preacher who speaks less Russian than I do even though he has been here longer. (That felt good to know). But anyways he has a ton of friends who are Mormon and has been to Salt Lake City a lot. We set up a meeting and it went really well. At first I was afraid that he would be really difficult, but he was super open and wants to know more. It was so funny that we ran into him.

No comments:

Post a Comment